Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Celebrating Easter Every Day . . . On Layton

The Cross on Layton

Easter approaches . . .
And some things haven't changed much on Layton through the years:
  • Buying new clothes and shoes.
  • Making a pilgrimage to church.
  • Putting on a sumptuous ham dinner for the family.
  • Hiding Easter baskets around the yard.
  • Scattering eggs for an Easter egg hunt.
  • Traveling to Myrtle Beach for spring family reunions.
  • Rising early on Easter morning for the sunrise service at Mt. Bethel or Lackawanna State Park or at the end of Cherry Grove beach in South Carolina.
We did these things as children; we did them with my children and now my grandchildren.

One significant change has occurred . . . my increasing realization that Easter should be celebrated every day of the year.

Easter brings a sweet and precious HOPE that makes life worth living on Layton . . . and everywhere for that matter.

That HOPE centers on Jesus, God's Son, God Himself. He was born into the world to provide the final sacrifice for all those millions of things I have done to violate His standard of holiness. Left to my own devices, I wouldn't have a chance to meet that standard and enter eternity in heaven with Him. Eternity is certain, and the smell of hell is too much with me.

BUT Jesus stepped into time and took care of that problem in me and you for only one reason: LOVE. It's an unconditional love that I have trouble fully grasping. The sacrifice that was needed for my sin, He provided . . . on a cross at Calvary . . . His blood shed for the sins of many. The deal was sealed with His resurrection and victory over death.

Acceptance of His forgiveness and sacrifice gave me the greatest gifts I will ever receive: the hope of eternity in heaven with Him after death and the assurance of His presence each day in life.

Death and life . . . He has covered it all.

Now, His Spirit walks with me daily giving help, comfort, encouragement, wisdom, guidance. He has given the opportunity to intimately know and experience Him - day in and day out - on Layton.

That cross and resurrection were not exclusive to residents of a country road in rural USA. They stand as offers to people on Lombard Street in San Francisco, Abbey Road in London, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Las Vegas Strip, Wall Street, the Champs Elysees, or Orchard Road in Singapore . . . any street, any time in history.

One of my favorite Easter hymns is called "He Lives." The lyrics voice our joy:

I serve a risen Savior,
He's in the world today;
I know that He is living,
Whatever men may say;
I see His hand of mercy,
I hear His voice of cheer,
And just the time I need Him,
He's always near.


He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me
Along life's narrow way.
He lives, He lives, salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives:
He lives within my heart.


Another of my favorites is "Because He Lives."

God sent His Son, they called Him Jesus.
He came to love, heal, and forgive.
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior 
lives.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the 
future,
And life is worth 
the living just because He lives.


So . . . Easter approaches, but it's an every day holiday. And I'm celebrating under the cross . . .

 on Layton.






No comments:

Post a Comment