Tuesday, June 18, 2013

WONDERSTRUCK!

 WONDERSTRUCK . . . on Layton!  
My "Wonderstruck" Companions

Thirty-six years ago I invited Jesus into my life, and my "wonderstruck" journey began.

It began with Bible study. And throughout these years Bible studies became a focal point of my life. Bible studies motivate, convict, direct, comfort, challenge, and inspire me. In God's Word I have come to know this One who is God and loves me gracefully, mercifully, and completely, this One who promises never to leave or forsake me, this One who forgives and saves a sinner like me.

During May and June I joined ladies in our church again to read God's Word through a lovely study called Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God by Margaret Feinberg (Lifeway Press, Nashville, Tennessee).

Margaret defines "wonder" as being awed by the presence and action of God in our daily lives. She encouraged us to live "eyes wide open" to see God's handiwork, His blessings, and His presence. Each day we watched expectantly for God and recorded three wonders in our journals. "Wonders" like the scent of a newborn child, a fading sunset, a word of kindness, the crunch of an almond, or much-needed rain. We were never disappointed.

We found God everywhere, all the time . . . at sunrise and breakfast, in the garden and the workplace, on a train to Indiana, in a school classroom, with an old man and a pre-schooler.

Our experience confirmed Psalm 40:5. "Many, LORD my God, are the wonders you have done, the things you planned for us. None can compare with you; were I to speak and tell of your deeds, they would be too many to declare."

We discovered that we live at breakneck speed. We miss the hand of God as surely as a car, hurdling down the highway at 70 mph, misses the delicate beauty of a daisy beside the road. Apply the brakes, open our eyes, wait expectantly, and be surprised by His wonder. These lessons resound in our hearts as we seek to develop the discipline of seeing God.

"There He is . . . in the yellows, purples, pinks of spring flowers! There He is . . . in that unexpected phone call from an old friend! There He is . . .  in the lavish gift of supplies for a missions trip!" We have savored His sweet presence with us, we have recognized His divine handiwork, and we are awed. "Who among the gods is like you, LORD? Who is like you - majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders?" Psalm 17:7.

The youngest member of our Bible study (on his mommy's
lap) left us "wonderstruck."
 This readiness for discovery wets our appetites for a more vibrant intimacy with God. We awake, curious to know Him more. A. W. Tozer's sentiments become our own. "I want the presence of God Himself, or I don't want anything at all to do with religion. I want all that God has or I don't want any."

Thank you, Margaret, for helping us to live "eyes wide open." Thank you, lovely ladies, for your companionship on the journey. Thank you Jesus.
YOU leave me WONDERSTRUCK . . .
on Layton.
A mother-daughter team (first and second on right) study
God's Word and seek Him, together. Beautiful . . . and
Wonderstruck.





2 comments:

  1. Jo Ann, I am so thrilled God revealed himself to you through Wonderstruck! Thank you for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I've downloaded her book and hope to read it this summer. You've just given me the encouragement needed to begin. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete